Monday, October 25, 2010

Hard to Disagree With Howie (even though he's a raider)

I have watched the NFL from the time Nitschke and Butkus would tear off your head and spit down your neck - when the Purple People Eaters and the Fearsome Foursome would hit you until and even after the whistle. I can remember a time when the ground COULD cause a fumble. I have been a card-carrying orangemaniac, Broncoholic since I was 5. I used to lament every year that Denver didn't trade for Joe Namath, Carl Eller, Butkus, or Merlin Olsen.

This is all prelude to say that the hypocrisy of the NFL, fining John Lynch for a hard hit that was clean, while allowing bigger and dirty hits that don't even draw penalty flags to go unnoticed. Also, putting a DVD of great hits on sale, while fines are levied against the stars of that video, allowing ESPN to have a "Jacked Up" segment on their Monday Night pregame, and finally preaching safety and health from the NFL offices and planning for a longer season of 18 games to yield to the greed of every NFL team owner.

Sunday morning on the FOX pregame, I heard the most eloquent rant to match my own ire. Former Raider Howie Long, who is also father of current Rams defensive lineman Chris Long spoke on the "Fired Up" segment. How ironic that my hated rival all those years is the best voice against the greed and hypocrisy of the Commissioner and ownership.

No comments: